Written with Canberra's unique climate in mind the Grow your own planner guides you through designing, creating and maintaining your edible garden. With simple DIY information and monthly tasks it...
Venita’s Green Tomato Cake
Have you been caught out with a whole batch of green tomatoes and no idea what to do with them? Green tomato chutney and salsas are my first thought but a very generous customer of mine has another suggestion. Try this recipe out and let us know what you think. Venita and I would love to hear from you!
Green Tomato Cake
Venita’s gluten free (adapted) recipe for spiced green tomato cake. It’s a great way to use green tomatoes before the frost gets them.
- 2 cups sugar (I use a little less, especially when the tomatoes are very sweet)
- 1 cup vegetable oil or melted shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cups soy flour } original recipe
- 1 cup buckwheat flour } says ‘3 cups
- 1 cup almond meal } of flour’
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoons baking powder (gluten free) – original recipe says 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups green tomatoes (after processing in food processor)
- coconut for top (optional)
Preheat oven to 180°C. (160°C fan forced)
In mixing bowl, beat sugar, vegetable oil or shortening, eggs and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
Sift together the flour(s), salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg then stir in the almond meal.
Slowly beat dry ingredients into egg mixture.
Blend well then stir in nuts, raisins and tomatoes.